When it seemed obvious to the average fan that Devin Hester would be doing more harm to himself than good by not reporting to training camp, Hester’s common sense was called into question.
On Friday, in his Q&A with the media, he dispelled some of that intrigue.
“I’m just here [because] I don’t want to fall too far behind. I want to be with my teammates. Every day I’m at home watching the news and reading the paper, it hurts me to be home and not here with them. So I’m here and basically that’s all I have to say.”
Hester did not practice because of a sore hamstring. Whether or not he’ll participate in practice while his contract is being negotiated remains to be seen. Hester had no comment when asked if he’d practice without an extension.
- 2016 Chicago Bears training camp: what to watch
- Charles Tillman retires after 13 NFL seasons
- Legendary Bears defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan dies at 82
- Alshon Jeffery at minicamp, still wants long-term deal
- Bears sign Jonathan Bullard to 4-year deal
- Chicago Bears sign offensive tackle Nate Chandler
- Jake Long to work out with Bears
- Alshon Jeffery contract status: WR skips voluntary practices
- Bears sign Leonard Floyd
- Report: Chicago Bears, Willie Young in contract extension talks