The one criterion offered by the Bears’ coaching staff that would help them determine who’d be this year’s starting quarterback was consistency.
“Just perform consistently and efficiently at a high level,” Ron Turner said. “The evaluation will be based on consistency; who’s doing everything most consistently well.”
Looks like they’ll have to go down the list and look at the next criterion. Two days after it appeared Kyle Orton got the leg up on Rex Grossman following a stellar performance in front of 25,000 fans at Soldier Field, Orton stumbled and Grossman excelled in Sunday’s practice.
As recent polls suggest, the city seems to be divided between Grossman and Orton supporters, but they’re all Bears fans, first and foremost. I don’t think any of them would mind if their quarterback of choice wasn’t the starter so long as the other player showed consistency. The only thing that’s been proven from this back-and-forth competition, which resembles a boxing match between two fighters trading jabs for leverage, is that neither quarterback is displaying the type of consistency you’d like from your starter, and all it’s doing is playing head games with Turner and Lovie Smith as they try to figure out which player will be best for the team.
There’s still 4 preseason games and a heck of a lot of time left — 5 weeks almost to the minute — until the Bears kick off the season in Indianapolis. Hopefully, one of these guys will sustain consistency more than the other. Right now, it doesn’t look like either one’s taken the baton and run with it.
- Bears free agent moves creating competition at positions of need
- Replacing Alshon Jeffery could be near-impossible task
- Bears to sign wide receiver Markus Wheaton
- Bears sign tight end Dion Sims
- Bears sign veteran safety Quintin Demps
- Where do Bears go from here at wide receiver?
- Ryan Pace and John Fox season-ending joint press conference
- Bears-Packers record headed for all-time tie on Sunday
- Vic Fangio, Bears can’t be headed toward a divorce
- 2016 Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year