In a widely expected move, Lovie Smith announced today that Kyle Orton will start the season opener Sept. 7 in Indianapolis.
The move comes as a relief to a lot of Grossman-bashers, one of whom I work with who just told me seconds ago, “Thank God, now I don’t have to go get a Packers jersey.”
While I don’t agree with his sentiment that if Grossman were named starter that Bears fans need to jump ship, he — and every other Bears fan — is entitled to his opinion.
But be forewarned, Bears fans. It is likely that we will see Grossman starting at some point this season. I am, however, a man of my word and I will stand behind Orton as “the guy” through thick and thin. It’s just what you do as a dedicated Bears fan.
- Chicago Bears 2017 Schedule and Previews
- Bears free agent moves creating competition at positions of need
- Replacing Alshon Jeffery could be near-impossible task
- Bears to sign wide receiver Markus Wheaton
- Bears sign tight end Dion Sims
- Bears sign veteran safety Quintin Demps
- Where do Bears go from here at wide receiver?
- Ryan Pace and John Fox season-ending joint press conference
- Bears-Packers record headed for all-time tie on Sunday
- Vic Fangio, Bears can’t be headed toward a divorce