In a widely expected move, Lovie Smith announced today that Kyle Orton will start the season opener Sept. 7 in Indianapolis.
The move comes as a relief to a lot of Grossman-bashers, one of whom I work with who just told me seconds ago, “Thank God, now I don’t have to go get a Packers jersey.”
While I don’t agree with his sentiment that if Grossman were named starter that Bears fans need to jump ship, he — and every other Bears fan — is entitled to his opinion.
But be forewarned, Bears fans. It is likely that we will see Grossman starting at some point this season. I am, however, a man of my word and I will stand behind Orton as “the guy” through thick and thin. It’s just what you do as a dedicated Bears fan.
- 2016 Chicago Bears training camp: what to watch
- Charles Tillman retires after 13 NFL seasons
- Legendary Bears defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan dies at 82
- Alshon Jeffery at minicamp, still wants long-term deal
- Bears sign Jonathan Bullard to 4-year deal
- Chicago Bears sign offensive tackle Nate Chandler
- Jake Long to work out with Bears
- Alshon Jeffery contract status: WR skips voluntary practices
- Bears sign Leonard Floyd
- Report: Chicago Bears, Willie Young in contract extension talks