You never like to see a guy get injured, but if you had to find the upside to Rod Wilson’s season-ending injury, it’s that a position as deep as linebacker won’t suffer as much. It also leaves an open roster spot for a young player trying to make the team, even if it as the expense of the Bears’ special teams units.
As it stands now, the Bears have 8 linebackers on their roster: Brian Urlacher, Lance Briggs, Hunter Hillenmeyer, Jamar Williams, Darrell McClover, Michael Okwo, Joey LaRocque, and Nick Roach.
Urlacher, Briggs, Hillenmeyer, and Williams are all locks while McClover solidified his chances with excellent special teams play throughout the preseason. The other three, Okwo, LaRocque, and Roach were all on the bubble fighting for a roster spot.
Wilson has to clear waivers first, and if he does, he’ll end up on the Bears’ injured reserve.
- Ryan Pace and John Fox season-ending joint press conference
- Bears-Packers record headed for all-time tie on Sunday
- Vic Fangio, Bears can’t be headed toward a divorce
- 2016 Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year
- Chicago Bears tank? Not going to happen
- Jay Cutler's shoulder surgery could end Bears career
- Alshon Jeffery's suspension is Bears' long-term gain
- Jay Cutler at fault, but all Bears to blame in loss to Bucs
- Jay Cutler’s return sparks team as Bears beat Vikings
- 'Jay Cutler or Brian Hoyer' quarterback controversy answer is clear