You never like to see a guy get injured, but if you had to find the upside to Rod Wilson’s season-ending injury, it’s that a position as deep as linebacker won’t suffer as much. It also leaves an open roster spot for a young player trying to make the team, even if it as the expense of the Bears’ special teams units.
As it stands now, the Bears have 8 linebackers on their roster: Brian Urlacher, Lance Briggs, Hunter Hillenmeyer, Jamar Williams, Darrell McClover, Michael Okwo, Joey LaRocque, and Nick Roach.
Urlacher, Briggs, Hillenmeyer, and Williams are all locks while McClover solidified his chances with excellent special teams play throughout the preseason. The other three, Okwo, LaRocque, and Roach were all on the bubble fighting for a roster spot.
Wilson has to clear waivers first, and if he does, he’ll end up on the Bears’ injured reserve.
- 'Jay Cutler or Brian Hoyer' quarterback controversy answer is clear
- Bears defense plays with a purpose against Lions
- Alshon Jeffery and the long ball take back seat to Eddie Royal’s short game
- Jordan Howard flashes potential -- and shades of Matt Forte
- Kevin White’s arrow pointing up despite injury
- Bears Quarterback Controversy? It’s Jay Cutler’s job
- Bears sign former Detroit Lions running back Joique Bell
- Bears promote QB Matt Barkley from the practice squad
- Bears taking step backward to take two steps forward?
- Robbie Gould missed, but rightfully gone