The long anticipated release of cornerback Ricky Manning Jr. has finally come when the Bears terminated his contract on Tuesday.
Manning began to lose playing time last season and lost his starting job to Danieal Manning this off-season. Things have gotten so bad for Ricky Manning recently that he ended up being moved from nickelback — where Lovie Smith once said he was a natural fit — to third-string cornerback.
With the emergence of young players Corey Graham and Trumaine McBride, the Bears felt Ricky Manning and his high salary — he was due to make $1.85 million this season and $4.75 million next season as part of the five-year, $21 million deal he signed in 2006 — were expendable.
- Bears sign Leonard Floyd
- Report: Chicago Bears, Willie Young in contract extension talks
- Which Bears veterans are on high alert following NFL Draft?
- Chicago Bears rookie uniform numbers revealed
- 2016 Chicago Bears draft picks
- Bears release Antrel Rolle, Matt Slauson
- Bears sign veteran quarterback Brian Hoyer
- Chicago Bears draft Daniel Braverman in seventh round of 2016 NFL Draft
- Chicago Bears draft DeAndre Houston-Carson in sixth round of 2016 NFL Draft
- Chicago Bears draft Jordan Howard in fifth round of 2016 NFL Draft