For the Bears to name a quarterback — a position of instability for more years than I can count on my fingers and toes — a team captain, it speaks volumes about how the Bears players and coaches view starter Kyle Orton.
What’s particularly most intriguing is that an injury or poor play could relegate Captain Orton to the bench, an awkward place for a team leader.
Personally, I like the move because it shows how much Orton’s teammates believe in him, and that’s a good sign for an offense with plenty of question marks heading into this season. Let’s just hope it works out for the best.
Other captains named were Olin Kreutz, Brian Urlacher, Mike Brown, and Patrick Mannelly.
- Report: Chicago Bears, Willie Young in contract extension talks
- Which Bears veterans are on high alert following NFL Draft?
- Chicago Bears rookie uniform numbers revealed
- 2016 Chicago Bears draft picks
- Bears release Antrel Rolle, Matt Slauson
- Bears sign veteran quarterback Brian Hoyer
- Chicago Bears draft Daniel Braverman in seventh round of 2016 NFL Draft
- Chicago Bears draft DeAndre Houston-Carson in sixth round of 2016 NFL Draft
- Chicago Bears draft Jordan Howard in fifth round of 2016 NFL Draft
- Chicago Bears draft Deiondre' Hall in fourth round of 2016 NFL Draft