Bears rookie running back Matt Forte is battling a sore ankle and is listed as probable on the injury report for Week 2.
Forte’s appearance on the list as well as his reduced reps during practice this week caused a minor stir among Bears fans fearing the team’s newest up-and-coming offensive weapon might not be ready to go for this week’s showdown with the Carolina Panthers.
But Forte insists his injury is more general soreness than anything and that he’ll be ready to go Sunday.
”It’s a physical game, and you get bumps and bruises and you’ve got to take care of them,” Forte said. ”We’re just taking precautions. I’ll be ready.”
Nevertheless, it’s good that the Bears have depth at the position so that Forte won’t have to shoulder the workload all by himself. It’ll allow him to take slowly his rookie season, which is longer than a college season and something that not all rookies are apt to handle.
Other Bears listed on the injury report are Chris Williams (Back – Out), Lance Briggs (Ankle – Probable), Tommie Harris (Ankle – Probable), Devin Hester (Foot – Probable), John Tait (Groin – Probable), and Nathan Vasher (Shoulder – Probable).
- Final 2015 NFL Power Rankings
- Free Agency: Is Shea McClellin done with Bears?
- Would Jahri Evans make sense for the Bears?
- Super Bowl 50: Peyton Manning, Cam Newton differences plentiful
- Super Bowl 50: Pass rush still most valuable NFL asset
- NFL Predictions: 2015 Week 21 Picks — Super Bowl 50
- Super Bowl Odds: Analyzing the lines for 2016 season
- Bears' Zach Miller seeking big free agent contract
- Cam Newton’s race comments off base, miss the point
- Dave Wannstedt offers solution to defending Carolina Panthers