Bears rookie running back Matt Forte is battling a sore ankle and is listed as probable on the injury report for Week 2.
Forte’s appearance on the list as well as his reduced reps during practice this week caused a minor stir among Bears fans fearing the team’s newest up-and-coming offensive weapon might not be ready to go for this week’s showdown with the Carolina Panthers.
But Forte insists his injury is more general soreness than anything and that he’ll be ready to go Sunday.
”It’s a physical game, and you get bumps and bruises and you’ve got to take care of them,” Forte said. ”We’re just taking precautions. I’ll be ready.”
Nevertheless, it’s good that the Bears have depth at the position so that Forte won’t have to shoulder the workload all by himself. It’ll allow him to take slowly his rookie season, which is longer than a college season and something that not all rookies are apt to handle.
Other Bears listed on the injury report are Chris Williams (Back – Out), Lance Briggs (Ankle – Probable), Tommie Harris (Ankle – Probable), Devin Hester (Foot – Probable), John Tait (Groin – Probable), and Nathan Vasher (Shoulder – Probable).
- Bears-Patriots Preview: Four things to watch in Preseason Game 2
- Bears-Broncos Preview: Four things to watch in Preseason Game 1
- Hroniss Grasu tears ACL; likely out for season
- Willie Young signs 2-year extension with Bears
- 2016 Chicago Bears training camp: what to watch
- Charles Tillman retires after 13 NFL seasons
- Legendary Bears defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan dies at 82
- Alshon Jeffery at minicamp, still wants long-term deal
- Bears sign Jonathan Bullard to 4-year deal
- Chicago Bears sign offensive tackle Nate Chandler