Bears rookie running back Matt Forte is battling a sore ankle and is listed as probable on the injury report for Week 2.
Forte’s appearance on the list as well as his reduced reps during practice this week caused a minor stir among Bears fans fearing the team’s newest up-and-coming offensive weapon might not be ready to go for this week’s showdown with the Carolina Panthers.
But Forte insists his injury is more general soreness than anything and that he’ll be ready to go Sunday.
”It’s a physical game, and you get bumps and bruises and you’ve got to take care of them,” Forte said. ”We’re just taking precautions. I’ll be ready.”
Nevertheless, it’s good that the Bears have depth at the position so that Forte won’t have to shoulder the workload all by himself. It’ll allow him to take slowly his rookie season, which is longer than a college season and something that not all rookies are apt to handle.
Other Bears listed on the injury report are Chris Williams (Back – Out), Lance Briggs (Ankle – Probable), Tommie Harris (Ankle – Probable), Devin Hester (Foot – Probable), John Tait (Groin – Probable), and Nathan Vasher (Shoulder – Probable).
- Bears free agent moves creating competition at positions of need
- Replacing Alshon Jeffery could be near-impossible task
- Bears to sign wide receiver Markus Wheaton
- Bears sign tight end Dion Sims
- Bears sign veteran safety Quintin Demps
- Where do Bears go from here at wide receiver?
- Ryan Pace and John Fox season-ending joint press conference
- Bears-Packers record headed for all-time tie on Sunday
- Vic Fangio, Bears can’t be headed toward a divorce
- 2016 Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year