The status of two injuries from the Bears-Panthers game became a little bit clearer recently.
Brandon McGowan, who was helped off the field Sunday, will undergo season-ending surgery to repair an ankle injury. You never like to see anybody get hurt, but McGowan’s absence hurts only the depth of the team and won’t necessarily affect its production. Danieal Manning will take his place as the starting nickel back.
As for Devin Hester’s injury, he told the media he has “a little torn cartilage”.
“I’m feeling a lot better so I’m hoping by the end of the week I’ll have no pain or nothing like that,” Hester said Thursday.
If Hester were to rush back too quickly, he could damage it further, so I think he should sit out this week. The Bears can and will beat the Buccaneers with or without Hester, so he should let the injury heal as much as possible for the showdown with the Philadelphia Eagles next Sunday night.
- Bears free agent moves creating competition at positions of need
- Replacing Alshon Jeffery could be near-impossible task
- Bears to sign wide receiver Markus Wheaton
- Bears sign tight end Dion Sims
- Bears sign veteran safety Quintin Demps
- Where do Bears go from here at wide receiver?
- Ryan Pace and John Fox season-ending joint press conference
- Bears-Packers record headed for all-time tie on Sunday
- Vic Fangio, Bears can’t be headed toward a divorce
- 2016 Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year