Fines levied on pair of Bears
A pair of Bears were fined this week for penalties in Sunday’s Buccaneers game.
Cornerback Charles Tillman was fined $5,000 for his unnecessary roughness penalty in overtime, which gave the Bucs a first down and a second chance at scoring of which they took advantage.
Linebacker Jamar Williams was also fined $7,500 for taunting following a tackle on a kickoff.
It’s intriguing that Williams’ fine was larger although Tillman’s penalty was more severe.
Hester back on practice field
Devin Hester was back on the practice field Thursday for the first time since injuring his ribs against the Carolina Panthers last Sunday.
We’ll get a better idea of whether or not he’ll be able to go on Sunday against the Eagles after the Bears release their injury report.
Williams takes part in practice
First round pick Chris Williams had limited participation in Wednesday’s practice, his first action since suffering a back injury at the start of training camp. Lovie Smith said the team was going to bring him along slowly and that “it’s about when we expected him to start practicing on a limited basis.”
With increased practice time over the next several weeks, it still remains a possibility that he could see action by Nov. 2 against the Lions, which is the Bears’ first game after their bye week.
That begs the question, if the Bears’ offensive line continues to play soundly without any glaring weaknesses, are the Bears in a hurry to insert Williams into the lineup? I think they’ll have to look at the state of their team at that point. If they appear to be in playoff contention, they should probably continue what they have going, unless they truly feel that Williams immediately will be an upgrade over John St. Clair.
- Legendary Bears defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan dies at 82
- Alshon Jeffery at minicamp, still wants long-term deal
- Bears sign Jonathan Bullard to 4-year deal
- Chicago Bears sign offensive tackle Nate Chandler
- Jake Long to work out with Bears
- Alshon Jeffery contract status: WR skips voluntary practices
- Bears sign Leonard Floyd
- Report: Chicago Bears, Willie Young in contract extension talks
- Which Bears veterans are on high alert following NFL Draft?
- Chicago Bears rookie uniform numbers revealed