The Bears — like a lot of teams in the NFL — like to hold their cards close to the vest and they refused to announce this past week who would be their starting quarterback against Tennessee.
However, with Kyle Orton listed as doubtful on Friday’s injury report, it came as little surprise when coach Lovie Smith announced on Bears GameDay Live that Rex Grossman will start at quarterback. Caleb Hanie will be the primary backup and Orton will be available as the emergency quarterback if needed.
The only other player Smith mentioned was wide receiver Brandon Lloyd, whom he called a “game time decision”. Lloyd’s presence doesn’t figure to alter the offensive approach one way or another.
Titans: QB Chris Simms (3rd), WR Paul Williams, WR Chris Davis, CB Renaldo Hill, RB Chris Henry, LB Colin Allred, OT Michael Otto, DE Kyle Vanden Bosch.
Bears: QB Kyle Orton (3rd), CB Marcus Hamilton, DB Terrance Holt, T Fred Miller, DT Matt Toeanina, WR Brandon Lloyd, LB Hunter Hillenmeyer, NT Anthony Adams.
- Chicago Bears 2017 Schedule and Previews
- Bears free agent moves creating competition at positions of need
- Replacing Alshon Jeffery could be near-impossible task
- Bears to sign wide receiver Markus Wheaton
- Bears sign tight end Dion Sims
- Bears sign veteran safety Quintin Demps
- Where do Bears go from here at wide receiver?
- Ryan Pace and John Fox season-ending joint press conference
- Bears-Packers record headed for all-time tie on Sunday
- Vic Fangio, Bears can’t be headed toward a divorce