My, what a difference of a few minutes can make in an NFL game. One minute, the Bears were at the 1-yard line, about to take a 14-3 lead, and the next minute, the Bears are down 17-7 going into halftime.
The Bears had this game, and they tripped over themselves. By no means is the game over and the Bears can still come back and win, but it’s disgraceful the way they played in the last few minutes of the first half.
The Bears were doing a fantastic job of containing Adrian Peterson, but, once again, one blown play — in which two or three Bears failed to finish tackling him to the ground and just inexplicably let go of him — and suddenly he looks like he’s God again.
Matt Forte is actually doing a good job of running against the league’s No. 2 run defense. He’s averaging 4.5 yards per carry with 63 yards on 14 attempts. The Bears are only down two possessions, so now is not the time to abandon the run. They need to keep their offense balanced and unpredictable.
But let’s get to the play that is irritating me the most. And no, it’s not former Bear Bernard Berrian’s 99-yard touchdown catch, which inflated his already huge ego a few extra notches. It’s two plays directly before that when Ron Turner — AGAIN! — called a godforsaken fullback dive up the middle on third-and-goal from the 1-yard line. The play doesn’t work, Ronald… tear it up!
I don’t know why I’m getting so fed up about what is going on in this game. I predicted the Bears to lose, after all. Maybe it’s just bothering me that the Bears actually had this game in hand and then blew it.
They better start out the second half much better than the way they finished the first. Hopefully Danieal Manning — not Devin Hester — can get things going with a good second half kickoff return.
- Alshon Jeffery at minicamp, still wants long-term deal
- Bears sign Jonathan Bullard to 4-year deal
- Chicago Bears sign offensive tackle Nate Chandler
- Jake Long to work out with Bears
- Alshon Jeffery contract status: WR skips voluntary practices
- Bears sign Leonard Floyd
- Report: Chicago Bears, Willie Young in contract extension talks
- Which Bears veterans are on high alert following NFL Draft?
- Chicago Bears rookie uniform numbers revealed
- 2016 Chicago Bears draft picks