It’s still early, but it’s possibly shaping up to be a good day for the Bears on more than one front. Not only are they taking it to the Jaguars and leading, 20-3, at halftime, but they’re getting some help from other teams as well.
Proving that their last meeting was no fluke, the Detroit Lions are hanging tough against the division-leading Minnesota Vikings, and actually hold a 6-3 lead at the half. Some interesting news from that game, Vikings Pro Bowl defensive end Jared Allen had to leave the game after a low block from a Lions lineman, which may or may not have been a dirty play. It would be unfortunate for the Vikings if they were missing Allen and the two Williamses for the remaining three games of the season.
Also of note from that game, quarterback Gus Frerotte left the game with an injury and Tarvaris Jackson had to come in to take a knee to close out the first half.
Elsewhere, the Packers, who have a steep enough climb to try to win the division, may make things even more difficult on themselves as they trail Houston, 10-7, at halftime.
In the Bears game, it’s been going as we’ve expected it to. The Jaguars have been running the ball better than expected with Maurice Jones-Drew and Fred Taylor combining for 66 yards on 17 carries, but other than that small ray of sunshine, the Jaguars look as though they don’t want to be there.
Kyle Orton has been having a good game, clearly looking to redeem himself following last week’s bad performance, and also trying to get the offense back to where it was before he got hurt.
Matt Forte has 52 yards on 11 carries, including a 26-yard scamper. He also leads the team with 4 receptions for 31 yards.
Hopefully things will continue to go as they have in all three of the games of interest, and if they do, we’ll be talking about a whole different season with three games to go.
- Final 2015 NFL Power Rankings
- Free Agency: Is Shea McClellin done with Bears?
- Would Jahri Evans make sense for the Bears?
- Super Bowl 50: Peyton Manning, Cam Newton differences plentiful
- Super Bowl 50: Pass rush still most valuable NFL asset
- NFL Predictions: 2015 Week 21 Picks — Super Bowl 50
- Super Bowl Odds: Analyzing the lines for 2016 season
- Bears' Zach Miller seeking big free agent contract
- Cam Newton’s race comments off base, miss the point
- Dave Wannstedt offers solution to defending Carolina Panthers