Make of it what you will, but TwinCities.com — the online version of the St. Paul Pioneer Press — is reporting that the Bears are interested in free agent safety Darren Sharper. Sharper, 33, is a 12-year veteran who has appeared in four Pro Bowls as a member of the Green Bay Packers and the Minnesota Vikings. The Bears, if interested, would be Sharper’s third NFC North team.
The Bears need to sign a veteran safety who can fill the void that will be left by Mike Brown, and Sharper would do that nicely.
At this point, I would be skeptical — although hopeful — of the report by an out-of-town newspaper. Just a few days ago, the Cincinnati Enquirer reported that the Bears were among a handful of teams interested in T.J. Houshmandzadeh, but when the wide receiver’s agent was asked about that, he said it was news to him.
Still, signing a veteran safety was on my off-season wish list as well as the second position I felt they needed to address through free agency — the first was offensive line, which they did Friday with the acquisition of Frank Omiyale. Quarterback is the third position they should address through free agency.
- 2016 Chicago Bears draft picks
- Bears release Antrel Rolle, Matt Slauson
- Bears sign veteran quarterback Brian Hoyer
- Chicago Bears draft Daniel Braverman in seventh round of 2016 NFL Draft
- Chicago Bears draft DeAndre Houston-Carson in sixth round of 2016 NFL Draft
- Chicago Bears draft Jordan Howard in fifth round of 2016 NFL Draft
- Chicago Bears draft Deiondre' Hall in fourth round of 2016 NFL Draft
- Chicago Bears draft Deon Bush in fourth round of 2016 NFL Draft
- Chicago Bears draft Nick Kwiatkoski in fourth round of 2016 NFL Draft
- Chicago Bears draft Jonathan Bullard in third round of 2016 NFL Draft