The Bears added depth to their secondary by agreeing to a 1-year deal with free agent free safety Josh Bullocks on Wednesday. He should be able to compete with — and defeat — Craig Steltz for the starting job.
Because it’s a 1-year deal, it could mean there is a level of apprehension on either the Bears’ part or Bullocks’, but his addition is something sorely needed. However, if he can beat out Steltz for the starting job and play well enough, he just may be re-signed next year.
Bullocks, a four-year veteran, started his first three seasons with the Saints before losing his job last training camp. He did wind up starting 6 games, though.
Below: Josh Bullocks in action against the Bears on Dec. 11, 2008.
While I would have liked the Bears to have allocated more money to that important free safety position — in the form of a better player — something is better than nothing as I pointed out just a few hours ago in my previous post.
And because the position is not a particularly deep one in this year’s draft class, safety was one of three positions I felt the Bears needed to address in free agency before entering the draft. They addressed the offensive line when they signed Frank Omiyale right out of the free agency gates and are still exploring options at offensive tackle with either John St. Clair or another veteran. Quarterback is the other position I feel they need to address in free agency, although it’s looking increasingly likely that they’ll head into camp with Kyle Orton, Brett Basanez, Caleb Hanie, and possibly a rookie. It’d be a shame, though, not to put Orton in a full-blown competition like they did last year.
- Legendary Bears defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan dies at 82
- Alshon Jeffery at minicamp, still wants long-term deal
- Bears sign Jonathan Bullard to 4-year deal
- Chicago Bears sign offensive tackle Nate Chandler
- Jake Long to work out with Bears
- Alshon Jeffery contract status: WR skips voluntary practices
- Bears sign Leonard Floyd
- Report: Chicago Bears, Willie Young in contract extension talks
- Which Bears veterans are on high alert following NFL Draft?
- Chicago Bears rookie uniform numbers revealed