Despite drafting a trio of wide receivers in April’s draft, the Bears are still open to the idea of adding a veteran to the mix, according to general manager Jerry Angelo.
“A veteran receiver is something we could do,” Angelo said Saturday. “We’ve looked at just about everybody. But right now we’re in a holding pattern. If we go to camp and go into the season with the hand we dealt ourselves, we’re very comfortable with that as well.”
That hand consists of veterans Devin Hester, Earl Bennett, Rashied Davis, and Brandon Rideau, as well as rookies Juaquin Iglesias, Johnny Knox, Derek Kinder, and Eric Peterman. Holdovers Devin Aromashodu and John Broussard also are on the roster.
As it stands now, if the Bears choose to keep only five receivers on the active roster when the season begins, that means they’ll have to cut either one of the veterans or sign Knox to the practice squad. Adding an additional veteran receiver could certainly make Davis or Rideau expendable.
On draft day, Angelo said he assumed trade talks for Anquan Boldin were dead, but Boldin’s agent, Drew Rosenhaus, recently said on his Twitter account that he expects Boldin to be traded before training camp.
“I’m not going to say ‘No’ to anything,” Angelo said in reference to the Bears continuing their pursuit of Boldin. “Things have changed now from when we were exploring that before. But [Rosenhaus] also made the statement that someone was going to give the Cardinals a first-round pick. That’s part of the salesmanship for his client.
“I don’t know what Arizona is going to do. [Boldin] is under contract. We really can’t talk about that. Just leave it at that.”
There have also been rumors that the Bears have shown interest in free agent Amani Toomer, but Angelo denied that on Saturday as well.
- Legendary Bears defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan dies at 82
- Alshon Jeffery at minicamp, still wants long-term deal
- Bears sign Jonathan Bullard to 4-year deal
- Chicago Bears sign offensive tackle Nate Chandler
- Jake Long to work out with Bears
- Alshon Jeffery contract status: WR skips voluntary practices
- Bears sign Leonard Floyd
- Report: Chicago Bears, Willie Young in contract extension talks
- Which Bears veterans are on high alert following NFL Draft?
- Chicago Bears rookie uniform numbers revealed