The Bears signed linebacker Darrell McClover to a one-year contract Tuesday. McClover spent three seasons with the Bears from 2006 to ’08. He was a solid special teams contributer and blocked a punt in Carolina last year that Brandon Lloyd fielded and returned for a touchdown.
The move is a curious one, though, as they’ve added another body to perhaps the deepest position on the team. They now have 10 linebackers as McClover joins Lance Briggs, Brian Urlacher, Pisa Tinoisamoa, Nick Roach, Jamar Williams, Hunter Hillenmeyer, Marcus Freeman, Kevin Malast, and Mike Rivera. They will likely keep six on the roster for the regular season.
Dvoracek done again?: There was a report earlier this week that defensive tackle Dusty Dvoracek tore his ACL and his season would be cut short for the fourth straight year. That initial report was denied by Dvoracek and Lovie Smith and we have yet to get full confirmation on the severity of the injury.
Whether or not Dvoracek plays this year, I don’t think it matters. Dvoracek found his way into the starting lineup, but the guy was more hustle and determination than he was talented. Personally, I’d rather see more of Marcus Harrison, Anthony Adams, Jarron Gilbert, and Israel Idonije. You just can’t count on Dvoracek anymore.
TE Mines, G Reed waived: Tight end Fontel Mines and guard Tyler Reed were both waived by the Bears this week. They have to clear waivers first but could return to the team on the injured reserve list.
- Chicago Bears draft Jonathan Bullard in third round of 2016 NFL Draft
- Chicago Bears draft Cody Whitehair in second round of 2016 NFL Draft
- Which first-round rookies will Bears face in 2016?
- Chicago Bears draft Leonard Floyd in first round of 2016 NFL Draft
- 2016 NFL Mock Drafts: Who will the Bears pick in the first round?
- Chicago Bears Draft Needs - 2016 NFL Draft
- Could Brian Hoyer sign with the Bears?
- Chicago Bears 2016 Season Predictions
- Chicago Bears 2016 Schedule and Previews
- Connor Cook to visit Bears