Pro Football Weekly publisher and editor Hub Arkush has reported that certain individuals within the Bears organization are inquiring about possible changes at head coach and general manager.
Arkush appeared on the Boers and Bernstein show on WSCR 670 The Score on Tuesday and revealed that nothing is concrete and these are just preliminary “feelers”, so to speak, to see if it would make financial sense to fire Lovie Smith — and maybe Jerry Angelo — before their contracts expire. The three names that have been discussed as possible replacements at head coach are Bill Cowher, Mike Shanahan, and Jon Gruden.
Those inside the organization doing the inquiries are considering the possibility of offering a new head coach — if they were to make a change — the general manager duties as well.
Arkush made clear that none of these head coaches have been contacted by the organization and that it’s still very likely that Angelo and Smith will remain in place next year.
Still, it’s nice to know that there isn’t complacency in the Bears’ ownership and that there remains an intense desire to win.
- 2016 Chicago Bears draft picks
- Bears release Antrel Rolle, Matt Slauson
- Bears sign veteran quarterback Brian Hoyer
- Chicago Bears draft Daniel Braverman in seventh round of 2016 NFL Draft
- Chicago Bears draft DeAndre Houston-Carson in sixth round of 2016 NFL Draft
- Chicago Bears draft Jordan Howard in fifth round of 2016 NFL Draft
- Chicago Bears draft Deiondre' Hall in fourth round of 2016 NFL Draft
- Chicago Bears draft Deon Bush in fourth round of 2016 NFL Draft
- Chicago Bears draft Nick Kwiatkoski in fourth round of 2016 NFL Draft
- Chicago Bears draft Jonathan Bullard in third round of 2016 NFL Draft