I had two goals entering this season as it pertained to my predictions. First, I wanted to finish with less than 100 losses, which I’ve accomplished. Second, I wanted a better record than last year’s 166-99 mark. I’ve improved that, as well. I’m also excited about this year’s Super Bowl. It features two high-powered offenses with opportunistic defenses. The Colts and Saints are probably the best two teams in the league, anyway, so they should be playing each other. And because the Packers, Vikings, and Patriots — my three least favorite teams — are not in the Super Bowl, I can sit back and relax and enjoy a good game without nervously sitting on the edge of my seat and hoping that we Bears fans don’t have to hear about any of those teams being called champions for the next year.
Last Week: 2-0
This Week: 0-1
New Orleans Saints (15-3) at Indianapolis Colts (16-2)
The Colts are now getting some relief from those fans that chastised them for resting their starters in the final two weeks of the regular season. Not from me, though. I still think they could have gone for the 16-0 record and won the Super Bowl. Oh well, water under the bridge. The single biggest key to this game is how the Saints’ defense performs against Peyton Manning. If they give him time to throw, Manning will pick them apart. If they rough up Manning in a similar fashion to what they did to Brett Favre two weeks ago, New Orleans could walk away with their first title. One thing that might work to the Saints’ advantage are the turnovers. New Orleans had the third-best turnover ratio in the league in the regular season while the Colts finished a modest 14th in that department. The team that has won the turnover battle has won all but three Super Bowls. I think the Colts’ defense will generate a few of their own, though, and they’ll come out victorious.
Prediction: Indianapolis 31, New Orleans 28
Actual Score: New Orleans 31, Indianapolis 17
- Bears will eye Broncos free agents
- Final 2015 NFL Power Rankings
- Free Agency: Is Shea McClellin done with Bears?
- Would Jahri Evans make sense for the Bears?
- Super Bowl 50: Peyton Manning, Cam Newton differences plentiful
- Super Bowl 50: Pass rush still most valuable NFL asset
- NFL Predictions: 2015 Week 21 Picks — Super Bowl 50
- Super Bowl Odds: Analyzing the lines for 2016 season
- Bears' Zach Miller seeking big free agent contract
- Cam Newton’s race comments off base, miss the point