ESPN.com posted a poll on its NFL page early Monday asking, “Are the Bears contenders or pretenders in the NFC North this season?” As of 1 p.m. Central time, 11,184 people had voted and the results were overwhelmingly lopsided.
Eighty-eight percent of those who voted called the Bears “Pretenders” compared to just twelve percent who said they were “Contenders.”
ESPN also breaks down the results of its polls by state and Illinois isn’t giving much love to its team, either. Of the 577 Illinoisans who had voted up to that point, 80% called the Bears “Pretenders” compared to just 20% who said they were “Contenders.”
Clearly, there’s a lot of pessimism and despair in Bear Nation, as well as low expectations from everywhere else in the country.
- Jay Cutler's shoulder surgery could end Bears career
- Alshon Jeffery's suspension is Bears' long-term gain
- Jay Cutler at fault, but all Bears to blame in loss to Bucs
- Jay Cutler’s return sparks team as Bears beat Vikings
- 'Jay Cutler or Brian Hoyer' quarterback controversy answer is clear
- Bears defense plays with a purpose against Lions
- Alshon Jeffery and the long ball take back seat to Eddie Royal’s short game
- Jordan Howard flashes potential -- and shades of Matt Forte
- Kevin White’s arrow pointing up despite injury
- Bears Quarterback Controversy? It’s Jay Cutler’s job