ESPN.com posted a poll on its NFL page early Monday asking, “Are the Bears contenders or pretenders in the NFC North this season?” As of 1 p.m. Central time, 11,184 people had voted and the results were overwhelmingly lopsided.
Eighty-eight percent of those who voted called the Bears “Pretenders” compared to just twelve percent who said they were “Contenders.”
ESPN also breaks down the results of its polls by state and Illinois isn’t giving much love to its team, either. Of the 577 Illinoisans who had voted up to that point, 80% called the Bears “Pretenders” compared to just 20% who said they were “Contenders.”
Clearly, there’s a lot of pessimism and despair in Bear Nation, as well as low expectations from everywhere else in the country.
- Would Jahri Evans make sense for the Bears?
- Super Bowl 50: Peyton Manning, Cam Newton differences plentiful
- Super Bowl 50: Pass rush still most valuable NFL asset
- NFL Predictions: 2015 Week 21 Picks — Super Bowl 50
- Super Bowl Odds: Analyzing the lines for 2016 season
- Bears' Zach Miller seeking big free agent contract
- Cam Newton’s race comments off base, miss the point
- Dave Wannstedt offers solution to defending Carolina Panthers
- Phil Emery joining Atlanta Falcons scouting department
- NFL Power Rankings: 2015 Week 21 -- Super Bowl 50