NFL teams made their final cutdowns on Saturday to trim their rosters to the 53-player limit. Among those notable Bears that were let go are former third-round picks Jarron Gilbert and Juaquin Iglesias as well as former fourth-round pick Josh Beekman. Safety Al Afalava, who started 13 games for the Bears last year, was also waived as was special teams ace Tim Shaw. Rookie quarterback Dan LeFevour was also released, but he could return to the practice squad if no other team picks him up.
Others who were let go by the Bears are: Richard Angulo (TE), Eddie Williams (FB), Freddie Barnes (WR), Greg Mathews (WR), James Marten (T), Levi Horn (T), Tim Walter (C), Barry Turner (DE), Edwin Williams (DT), Mick Williams (DT), Kevin Malast (LB), Cornelius Brown (CB), Woodny Turenne (CB), Quentin Scott (S), and Aaron Webster (S).
For a complete list of NFL players released by their teams, click here.
Here’s how the Bears’ roster currently stands by position:
Quarterbacks (3): Jay Cutler, Todd Collins, Caleb Hanie.
Running backs (4): Matt Forte, Chester Taylor, Kahlil Bell, Garrett Wolfe.
Wide receivers (5): Devin Hester, Johnny Knox, Devin Aromashodu, Earl Bennett, Rashied Davis.
Tight ends (4): Greg Olsen, Desmond Clark, Brandon Manumaleuna, Kellen Davis.
Offensive linemen (8): Chris Williams, Roberto Garza, Olin Kreutz, Lance Louis, Frank Omiyale, Kevin Shaffer, Johan Asiata, J’Marcus Webb.
Defensive linemen (9): Julius Peppers, Tommie Harris, Anthony Adams, Mark Anderson, Israel Idonije, Matt Toeaina, Marcus Harrison, Henry Melton, Corey Wootton.
Linebackers (6): Lance Briggs, Brian Urlacher, Pisa Tinoisamoa, Hunter Hillenmeyer, Nick Roach, Brian Iwuh.
Cornerbacks (6): Zackary Bowman, Charles Tillman, Corey Graham, , D.J. Moore, Tim Jennings, Josh Moore.
Safeties (5): Chris Harris, Major Wright, Danieal Manning, Josh Bullocks, Craig Steltz.
Specialists (3): Robbie Gould, Patrick Mannelly, Brad Maynard.
- Bears promote QB Matt Barkley from the practice squad
- Bears taking step backward to take two steps forward?
- Robbie Gould missed, but rightfully gone
- Bears pass rush just not hitting home
- Bears offensive line makes it difficult to do much of anything
- Bears run game must pick up the slack in Cutler's stead
- Bears run defense showed signs of life before injuries
- Lamarr Houston injury opens door for Leonard Floyd
- Eddie Goldman injury is most alarming one for Bears
- Alshon Jeffery’s contract at top of mind Monday night