Jerry Angelo has been adamant for the past few years that the Bears have the young pieces in place at the receiver position and the team would not spend big money to acquire a veteran through free agency.
While the chances are small that he was exhibiting patience and biding his time until the right free agent became available, this offseason — as soon as a new CBA has been reached — is the time for Angelo to strike.
As NFL.com’s Steve Wyche notes, the supply of free agent receivers this year could meet the demands of the league.
Among those receivers who should draw the most interest are the Vikings’ Sidney Rice, a tall receiver with good hands and leaping ability, Santonio Holmes, a former Super Bowl MVP, and Braylon Edwards, an extremely talented player who hasn’t been able to play with a good quarterback in his young career.
Other players that could be available include the Giants’ Steve Smith, the Jaguars’ Mike Sims-Walker, the Saints’ Lance Moore, the Cardinals’ Steve Breaston, and the Chargers’ Malcom Floyd.
Some big-named veterans whose best years could be behind them include Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Plaxico Burress, and T.J. Houshmandzadeh. The Bengals’ Chad Ochocinco could hit the market if he is released and he has been mentioned as a possibility for the Bears in several circles.
The rules of supply and demand state that the smaller the supply, the greater the price. And since the supply will likely meet the demand, Angelo can finally land a veteran free agent receiver at a reasonable price.
If he so chooses.
- Bears free agent moves creating competition at positions of need
- Replacing Alshon Jeffery could be near-impossible task
- Bears to sign wide receiver Markus Wheaton
- Bears sign tight end Dion Sims
- Bears sign veteran safety Quintin Demps
- Where do Bears go from here at wide receiver?
- Ryan Pace and John Fox season-ending joint press conference
- Bears-Packers record headed for all-time tie on Sunday
- Vic Fangio, Bears can’t be headed toward a divorce
- 2016 Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year