With the Bears set to take the practice field Saturday in Bourbonnais, reports state that Chris Harris has been moved to strong safety, where Danieal Manning played all last year. That could be the precursor to the Bears moving on without Manning.
Manning played well in that role after bouncing around in four different defensive positions — free safety, cornerback, nickel back, strong safety — in his five years with the team. But despite how he played, Manning’s skill set was more suited for free safety and Harris is a natural strong safety.
Should the Bears not re-sign Manning, second-year safety Major Wright would figure to get the first shot at becoming the starting free safety. Craig Steltz and rookie Chris Conte are also in the mix.
- Bears sign Leonard Floyd
- Report: Chicago Bears, Willie Young in contract extension talks
- Which Bears veterans are on high alert following NFL Draft?
- Chicago Bears rookie uniform numbers revealed
- 2016 Chicago Bears draft picks
- Bears release Antrel Rolle, Matt Slauson
- Bears sign veteran quarterback Brian Hoyer
- Chicago Bears draft Daniel Braverman in seventh round of 2016 NFL Draft
- Chicago Bears draft DeAndre Houston-Carson in sixth round of 2016 NFL Draft
- Chicago Bears draft Jordan Howard in fifth round of 2016 NFL Draft