With the Bears set to take the practice field Saturday in Bourbonnais, reports state that Chris Harris has been moved to strong safety, where Danieal Manning played all last year. That could be the precursor to the Bears moving on without Manning.
Manning played well in that role after bouncing around in four different defensive positions — free safety, cornerback, nickel back, strong safety — in his five years with the team. But despite how he played, Manning’s skill set was more suited for free safety and Harris is a natural strong safety.
Should the Bears not re-sign Manning, second-year safety Major Wright would figure to get the first shot at becoming the starting free safety. Craig Steltz and rookie Chris Conte are also in the mix.
- Bears-Patriots Preview: Four things to watch in Preseason Game 2
- Bears-Broncos Preview: Four things to watch in Preseason Game 1
- Hroniss Grasu tears ACL; likely out for season
- Willie Young signs 2-year extension with Bears
- 2016 Chicago Bears training camp: what to watch
- Charles Tillman retires after 13 NFL seasons
- Legendary Bears defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan dies at 82
- Alshon Jeffery at minicamp, still wants long-term deal
- Bears sign Jonathan Bullard to 4-year deal
- Chicago Bears sign offensive tackle Nate Chandler