With the Bears set to take the practice field Saturday in Bourbonnais, reports state that Chris Harris has been moved to strong safety, where Danieal Manning played all last year. That could be the precursor to the Bears moving on without Manning.
Manning played well in that role after bouncing around in four different defensive positions — free safety, cornerback, nickel back, strong safety — in his five years with the team. But despite how he played, Manning’s skill set was more suited for free safety and Harris is a natural strong safety.
Should the Bears not re-sign Manning, second-year safety Major Wright would figure to get the first shot at becoming the starting free safety. Craig Steltz and rookie Chris Conte are also in the mix.
- Would Jahri Evans make sense for the Bears?
- Super Bowl 50: Peyton Manning, Cam Newton differences plentiful
- Super Bowl 50: Pass rush still most valuable NFL asset
- NFL Predictions: 2015 Week 21 Picks — Super Bowl 50
- Super Bowl Odds: Analyzing the lines for 2016 season
- Bears' Zach Miller seeking big free agent contract
- Cam Newton’s race comments off base, miss the point
- Dave Wannstedt offers solution to defending Carolina Panthers
- Phil Emery joining Atlanta Falcons scouting department
- NFL Power Rankings: 2015 Week 21 -- Super Bowl 50