With the Bears set to take the practice field Saturday in Bourbonnais, reports state that Chris Harris has been moved to strong safety, where Danieal Manning played all last year. That could be the precursor to the Bears moving on without Manning.
Manning played well in that role after bouncing around in four different defensive positions — free safety, cornerback, nickel back, strong safety — in his five years with the team. But despite how he played, Manning’s skill set was more suited for free safety and Harris is a natural strong safety.
Should the Bears not re-sign Manning, second-year safety Major Wright would figure to get the first shot at becoming the starting free safety. Craig Steltz and rookie Chris Conte are also in the mix.
- Chicago Bears draft Jonathan Bullard in third round of 2016 NFL Draft
- Chicago Bears draft Cody Whitehair in second round of 2016 NFL Draft
- Which first-round rookies will Bears face in 2016?
- Chicago Bears draft Leonard Floyd in first round of 2016 NFL Draft
- 2016 NFL Mock Drafts: Who will the Bears pick in the first round?
- Chicago Bears Draft Needs - 2016 NFL Draft
- Could Brian Hoyer sign with the Bears?
- Chicago Bears 2016 Season Predictions
- Chicago Bears 2016 Schedule and Previews
- Connor Cook to visit Bears