As reported early Wednesday, Bears nickel back Kelvin Hayden tore his left hamstring, an injury that will require surgery and cost him the entire 2013 season.
Second-year pro Isaiah Frey, who has had a good training camp so far by showing up around the ball and making plays, will get a crack at being the team’s new nickel corner. But as encouraging as the youngster’s play has been, the Bears will miss the veteran Hayden’s experience, and they’ll certainly miss having quality depth at the position should injuries later in the season stretch that position thin.
Bears CB Hayden tears hamstring, out for season (Chicago Tribune)
Kelvin Hayden to miss season (ESPN)
Bears’ Kelvin Hayden out for year with torn hamstring (NFL.com)
Bears lose Kelvin Hayden for the year (Pro Football Talk)
- Jay Cutler's shoulder surgery could end Bears career
- Alshon Jeffery's suspension is Bears' long-term gain
- Jay Cutler at fault, but all Bears to blame in loss to Bucs
- Jay Cutler’s return sparks team as Bears beat Vikings
- 'Jay Cutler or Brian Hoyer' quarterback controversy answer is clear
- Bears defense plays with a purpose against Lions
- Alshon Jeffery and the long ball take back seat to Eddie Royal’s short game
- Jordan Howard flashes potential -- and shades of Matt Forte
- Kevin White’s arrow pointing up despite injury
- Bears Quarterback Controversy? It’s Jay Cutler’s job