As reported early Wednesday, Bears nickel back Kelvin Hayden tore his left hamstring, an injury that will require surgery and cost him the entire 2013 season.
Second-year pro Isaiah Frey, who has had a good training camp so far by showing up around the ball and making plays, will get a crack at being the team’s new nickel corner. But as encouraging as the youngster’s play has been, the Bears will miss the veteran Hayden’s experience, and they’ll certainly miss having quality depth at the position should injuries later in the season stretch that position thin.
Bears CB Hayden tears hamstring, out for season (Chicago Tribune)
Kelvin Hayden to miss season (ESPN)
Bears’ Kelvin Hayden out for year with torn hamstring (NFL.com)
Bears lose Kelvin Hayden for the year (Pro Football Talk)
- Bears promote QB Matt Barkley from the practice squad
- Bears taking step backward to take two steps forward?
- Robbie Gould missed, but rightfully gone
- Bears pass rush just not hitting home
- Bears offensive line makes it difficult to do much of anything
- Bears run game must pick up the slack in Cutler's stead
- Bears run defense showed signs of life before injuries
- Lamarr Houston injury opens door for Leonard Floyd
- Eddie Goldman injury is most alarming one for Bears
- Alshon Jeffery’s contract at top of mind Monday night