The Bears may have run out of time in a 45-41 shootout loss to the Washington Redskins on Sunday, but it was the losses on the field, rather than the scoreboard, that hurt the most.
Already hobbled by various injuries throughout the lineup entering the game, the Bears had several more key players go down on Sunday. It all starts — and ends, really — with the groin injury suffered by quarterback Jay Cutler. Cutler left the game following a sack in the second quarter and did not return. He was able to walk — or hobble — off the field and to the locker room under his own power, but the situation did not look good.
Backup quarterback Josh McCown came in and had a solid performance against a bad Redskins defense and gave the Bears a chance to win the game. But looking at this situation long term, the Bears will not be going anywhere without Cutler if he is out for a significant period of time.
Then again, with as bad as the defense has been this year, they may not be going anywhere with or without Cutler.
An already injury-riddled defense sustained some more banged up bodies in this one. Lance Briggs, who is having one of the best seasons of his career, left the game with a shoulder injury. Charles Tillman had to step out with a knee injury. That left the Bears with a lineup featuring rookies David Bass, Jon Bostic, and Khaseem Greene, special teamer Blake Costanzo — who also left with an injury — and backup cornerback Zack Bowman. That’s not a unit that is going to win games.
The loss is disappointing because the Redskins are no good. Period. It’s a team that has less overall talent than the Bears — when the Bears are healthy, that is. But what made the day all the more difficult to stomach were injuries across the board that could derail this Bears season and leave the future in question.
- Legendary Bears defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan dies at 82
- Alshon Jeffery at minicamp, still wants long-term deal
- Bears sign Jonathan Bullard to 4-year deal
- Chicago Bears sign offensive tackle Nate Chandler
- Jake Long to work out with Bears
- Alshon Jeffery contract status: WR skips voluntary practices
- Bears sign Leonard Floyd
- Report: Chicago Bears, Willie Young in contract extension talks
- Which Bears veterans are on high alert following NFL Draft?
- Chicago Bears rookie uniform numbers revealed