Hey, Bears fans, do you remember that awful loss to the woeful Redskins earlier this season? Or how about when that bad Rams team trounced the Bears? Or that disheartening loss to the lousy Vikings?
The answer to all these questions is: No. Because they never happened.
Okay, in reality, they took place and are in the record books. But they don’t matter.
With the Ravens’ victory over the Lions on Monday night, the Bears now are in sole possession of first place in the NFC North with an 8-6 record. Which means, nothing that has happened up to this point in this football season matters. If the Bears do not make the playoffs, it’s not because they lost to those lousy teams earlier in the season. It’ll be because they will have lost to either the Eagles or Packers — or both — in the next two weeks.
I’ve always been a big proponent of never looking to the past. As “Da Coach,” Mike Ditka once said: “Those who live in the past are cowards and losers.” In single games, I’ve always preached that what happens in the first half of a game has no bearing on the second half of a game. Similarly, in a football season, what happens early in the season has no bearing on the end of a season … if, and only if, a team ties things up or takes the lead.
And the Bears have done just that.
So, I don’t want to hear talk of anything prior to this week if the Bears don’t win the division. The only thing that matters right now is the upcoming Sunday night matchup with the Eagles. Win, and the Bears move closer to the crown. Lose, and they are likely out of the division lead and out of the playoff hunt.
You wanted playoffs? This is a playoff. Enjoy it.
- Alshon Jeffery at minicamp, still wants long-term deal
- Bears sign Jonathan Bullard to 4-year deal
- Chicago Bears sign offensive tackle Nate Chandler
- Jake Long to work out with Bears
- Alshon Jeffery contract status: WR skips voluntary practices
- Bears sign Leonard Floyd
- Report: Chicago Bears, Willie Young in contract extension talks
- Which Bears veterans are on high alert following NFL Draft?
- Chicago Bears rookie uniform numbers revealed
- 2016 Chicago Bears draft picks