Predicting the outcome of the first round of the NFL Draft is about as futile as making season predictions, but it’s fun nonetheless. Teams make trades and it’s difficult to predict between whom and when. Plus, there’s always the surprise picks where many players are selected way higher than forecasted, and even some players who slide further than anticipated.
Here’s my stab at slotting the draft picks on the opening night of the 2014 NFL Draft.
1. Houston Texans – Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
2. St. Louis Rams (From Redskins) – Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn
3. Jacksonville Jaguars – Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo
4. Cleveland Browns – Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
5. Oakland Raiders – Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
6. Atlanta Falcons – Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
8. Minnesota Vikings – Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh
9. Buffalo Bills – Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
10. Detroit Lions – Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma St.
11. Tennessee Titans – Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA
12. New York Giants – Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina
13. St. Louis Rams – Calvin Pryor, FS, Louisville
14. Chicago Bears – Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama
15. Pittsburgh Steelers – Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
16. Dallas Cowboys – Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida St.
17. Baltimore Ravens – C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama
18. New York Jets – Odell Beckham, WR, LSU
19. Miami Dolphins – Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame
20. Arizona Cardinals – Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon St.
21. Green Bay Packers – Stephon Tuitt, DE, Notre Dame
22. Philadelphia Eagles – Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame
23. Kansas City Chiefs – Marqise Lee, WR, USC
24. Cincinnati Bengals – Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio St.
25. San Diego Chargers – Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan St.
26. Cleveland Browns (From Colts) – Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama
27. New Orleans Saints – Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
28. Carolina Panthers – Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia
29. New England Patriots – Ra’Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
30. San Francisco 49ers – Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska
31. Denver Broncos – Joel Bitonio, OT, Nevada
32. Seattle Seahawks – Xavier Su’a-Filo, OG, UCLA
- Matt Forte, Bears set to part ways
- Bears will eye Broncos free agents
- Final 2015 NFL Power Rankings
- Free Agency: Is Shea McClellin done with Bears?
- Would Jahri Evans make sense for the Bears?
- Super Bowl 50: Peyton Manning, Cam Newton differences plentiful
- Super Bowl 50: Pass rush still most valuable NFL asset
- NFL Predictions: 2015 Week 21 Picks — Super Bowl 50
- Super Bowl Odds: Analyzing the lines for 2016 season
- Bears' Zach Miller seeking big free agent contract