The NFL Network came out with its “Top 100 Players of 2014” and Bears running back Matt Forte was none too pleased about where he was slotted.
Forte checked in at No. 91 overall, and apparently was the ninth-ranked running back on the list.
“It’s obvious that you guys had Packers fans make the list,” Forte joked in an interview on the network. “This list is not a list of stats, I guess. This is ridiculous. My daughter is one and she just started walking and she could be No. 91 on this list. So this is crazy.”
In context, it’s clear Forte was feigning just a bit. It’s more a popularity poll than anything and shouldn’t be taken too seriously. Given how important a role he played for the Bears last season in Marc Trestman’s first season with the team, Forte’s clearly a better player than quite a few players ranked ahead of him. Forte finished second in the league in rushing with 1,339 yards and also caught 74 passes — third most among running backs and 29th in the entire NFL.
But NFL players — particularly at a skill position — have egos, and there’s no doubt in my mind that Forte will be carrying a chip on his shoulder this season. When you combine that with the development of Trestman’s offense in Year 2, I expect great things from Forte in 2014.
- Chicago Bears rookie uniform numbers revealed
- 2016 Chicago Bears draft picks
- Bears release Antrel Rolle, Matt Slauson
- Bears sign veteran quarterback Brian Hoyer
- Chicago Bears draft Daniel Braverman in seventh round of 2016 NFL Draft
- Chicago Bears draft DeAndre Houston-Carson in sixth round of 2016 NFL Draft
- Chicago Bears draft Jordan Howard in fifth round of 2016 NFL Draft
- Chicago Bears draft Deiondre' Hall in fourth round of 2016 NFL Draft
- Chicago Bears draft Deon Bush in fourth round of 2016 NFL Draft
- Chicago Bears draft Nick Kwiatkoski in fourth round of 2016 NFL Draft