The Bears brought in veteran wide receiver Eddie Royal this offseason for a few reasons.
He knows Jay Cutler from their time playing together in Denver in Royal’s rookie season. The two developed a good rapport that season and that’s a good quality to have in your passing game.
The other reason the Bears were interested in Royal, simply put, is because he’s the ideal slot receiver and third option at wideout. He’s short and shifty, which makes it difficult for linebackers to keep up with him, he has reliable hands, and he’s good picking up yards after the catch.
Royal proved just how well he can handle that role in Sunday’s 22-20 victory over the Oakland Raiders by hauling in seven catches for 54 yards and an early touchdown.
There’s no telling how good the Bears would look with Alshon Jeffery, Kevin White, and Royal all healthy and playing together.
- ‘Mitch Trubisky Era’ begins now for the Chicago Bears
- Chicago Bears 2017 Schedule and Previews
- Bears free agent moves creating competition at positions of need
- Replacing Alshon Jeffery could be near-impossible task
- Bears to sign wide receiver Markus Wheaton
- Bears sign tight end Dion Sims
- Bears sign veteran safety Quintin Demps
- Where do Bears go from here at wide receiver?
- Ryan Pace and John Fox season-ending joint press conference
- Bears-Packers record headed for all-time tie on Sunday