Bears tight end Martellus Bennett injured his quad in practice last Thursday and was listed as questionable for Sunday’s game. But Bennett toughed it out and played through any nagging aches and pains and had a solid game in the Bears’ 37-34 overtime loss to the Detroit Lions.
Bennett caught six passes for 59 yards and continued to be one of Cutler’s go-to targets.
Even with the return of top receiver Alshon Jeffery, the game plan called for heavy use of Bennett. The Pro Bowl tight end has a big body and is athletic enough to cause mismatches for opposing defenses.
Bennett had a few more drops, including one in the end zone, which is a problem that has seemed to creep up on him this year, but I don’t think it’ll be an issue that he’ll deal with all season.
- ‘Mitch Trubisky Era’ begins now for the Chicago Bears
- Chicago Bears 2017 Schedule and Previews
- Bears free agent moves creating competition at positions of need
- Replacing Alshon Jeffery could be near-impossible task
- Bears to sign wide receiver Markus Wheaton
- Bears sign tight end Dion Sims
- Bears sign veteran safety Quintin Demps
- Where do Bears go from here at wide receiver?
- Ryan Pace and John Fox season-ending joint press conference
- Bears-Packers record headed for all-time tie on Sunday