Matt Forte who?
Okay … let’s not go that far. As it stands right now, I’m pretty confident that Jeremy Langford will not have as good a career as Forte. Forte has been a rare find, a running back that has done everything well and has done it for a prolonged period of time.
Langford, meanwhile, has started two games and has played really well. Let’s give him a few years before we rank him in the Bears’ history of great running backs.
But speaking of ranks and Bears history, Langford has already joined Bears greats Walter Payton and Gale Sayers in at least one statistical achievement. In Sunday’s 37-13 victory over the St. Louis Rams, Langford became just the third Bears player with 100 receiving yards, a touchdown catch and a touchdown run in the same game, per Elias Sports.
Langford caught a screen pass from Jay Cutler in the second quarter on Sunday and showed his breakaway speed to take it 83 yards for a touchdown.
The Bears will have a decision to make on Forte when the veteran’s contract is up at season’s end, but Langford is doing everything he can to show them he can be the starter of the future.
- Bears free agent moves creating competition at positions of need
- Replacing Alshon Jeffery could be near-impossible task
- Bears to sign wide receiver Markus Wheaton
- Bears sign tight end Dion Sims
- Bears sign veteran safety Quintin Demps
- Where do Bears go from here at wide receiver?
- Ryan Pace and John Fox season-ending joint press conference
- Bears-Packers record headed for all-time tie on Sunday
- Vic Fangio, Bears can’t be headed toward a divorce
- 2016 Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year