Fox, speaking Monday on ESPN’s NFL Live, said, “They’re working at it as we speak. Alshon is a guy we wanted back.”
The Bears have uncertainty at the wide receiver position given that last year’s first-round pick, Kevin White, missed the entire season with a shin injury. The team doesn’t know it has in him and they need a player of Jeffery’s stature.
“He’s a big target and a big-time player,” Fox said of Jeffery. “He actually missed a lot of time for us last year. This will give us another year to figure out where he fits and how well he fits in our system. They’re still working at the long-term deal. That is a work in progress, I’m sure, with every franchise-tagged player out there.”
- Bears free agent moves creating competition at positions of need
- Replacing Alshon Jeffery could be near-impossible task
- Bears to sign wide receiver Markus Wheaton
- Bears sign tight end Dion Sims
- Bears sign veteran safety Quintin Demps
- Where do Bears go from here at wide receiver?
- Ryan Pace and John Fox season-ending joint press conference
- Bears-Packers record headed for all-time tie on Sunday
- Vic Fangio, Bears can’t be headed toward a divorce
- 2016 Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year