Tag Archives: 2009 NFL Draft

Bears add Gilbert, Iglesias to the mix

June 11th, 2009 - 7:48 am

The Bears continued their recent tradition of becoming one of the first teams — and in this case, the first team in the league to get all of their draft picks signed as they agreed to terms Wednesday with third-round [...]

Continue reading Bears add Gilbert, Iglesias to the mix

Bears sign seven of nine draft picks

May 29th, 2009 - 5:06 pm

The Bears certainly had a busy Friday afternoon. In addition to extending defensive lineman Israel Idonije’s contract by two years, and signing free agent linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa to a one-year deal, the Bears agreed to terms with seven of their [...]

Continue reading Bears sign seven of nine draft picks

Bears have 9 picks on Day 2 to fill needs

April 26th, 2009 - 8:08 am

Many Bears fans waited an awfully long time on Day 1 of the 2009 NFL Draft to see what wide receiver — presumably, although they were considering other positions — would be added to the mix. They wound up waiting [...]

Continue reading Bears have 9 picks on Day 2 to fill needs

It should be mostly defense for Bears in draft

April 4th, 2009 - 11:56 am

Every April, I treat the days leading up to the NFL Draft as if I were cramming for a test back when I was in school. Because I’m not an avid follower of college football, I have to work extra [...]

Continue reading It should be mostly defense for Bears in draft

Assessing the shock waves from the Cutler trade

April 3rd, 2009 - 11:09 am

The day after your favorite team makes a trade, particularly one with the magnitude of the Jay Cutler acquisition, is in some ways similar to the morning after you’ve hosted a party at your house. You fondly remember the previous’ [...]

Continue reading Assessing the shock waves from the Cutler trade

Are Bears eyeing an OT in the first round?

March 20th, 2009 - 5:59 pm

At the outset of free agency, the Bears offered free agent offensive tackle John St. Clair a modest contract which he eventually turned down in favor of a deal with the Cleveland Browns, leaving the team with three unproven tackles [...]

Continue reading Are Bears eyeing an OT in the first round?

Will Angelo take a first round wide receiver?

March 14th, 2009 - 9:13 am

According to ChicagoBears.com, ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper Jr. and colleague Todd McShay both have predicted the Bears will select Maryland wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey with the 18th pick in the first round of the 2009 draft. Heyward-Bey wowed scouts [...]

Continue reading Will Angelo take a first round wide receiver?

Expect Bears to be slow out of free agency gates

February 26th, 2009 - 9:29 am

The 2009 NFL free agency period kicks off at 11:01 p.m. Thursday night — which is Friday morning Eastern time — and it’s highly unlikely the Bears will be making immediate headlines like they did in 2005 when they signed [...]

Continue reading Expect Bears to be slow out of free agency gates

Let the Crabtree debate begin… and end

February 21st, 2009 - 11:20 am

The NFL Network reported on Saturday that Texas Tech wide receiver Michael Crabtree, the top wide receiver prospect entering the 2009 NFL Draft, will require surgery to repair a “slight stress fracture” in his left foot. Crabtree, for those who [...]

Continue reading Let the Crabtree debate begin… and end

2009 off-season wish list

January 6th, 2009 - 9:20 pm

It’s the time of the year when every beat writer, analyst, and football junkie likes to offer remedies for his team’s misfortunes. And while that advice is seldom accurate and never sought by the team itself, it’s fun nonetheless. Allow [...]

Continue reading 2009 off-season wish list